Police chase theft suspect into Ohio hospital emergency room, shoot him to death
BOWLING GREEN, Ohio- Police chased a theft suspect into a hospital emergency room and shot him to death after he threatened to harm a patient, authorities said Tuesday.
Officers began chasing Daniel J. Rice, 30, Monday night after a pickup truck was reported stolen from a convenience store in this northwest Ohio city, police Lt. Tony Hetrick said.
With police following him, Rice drove into the parking lot of Wood County Hospital and ran into the emergency room, when he stood over one of the two people in a treatment room and threatened to kill him, Hetrick said.
A State Highway Patrol trooper tried to stop Rice with a stun gun, but the shock wasn't effective, Hetrick said. Rice then reached into his waistband, and a Bowling Green officer shot him in the side, Hetrick said.
Rice, who lived in Nappanee, Ind., did not have a weapon, Hetrick said. No one else was hurt.
Bowling Green is about 20 miles south of Toledo.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court