One Ala. officer shot dead, another injured
One police officer was killed and another was wounded this morning in a shooting in the Birmingham suburb of Fairfield.
Three Birmingham television stations -- WBRC, WBMA, and WVTM all reported that the officer was fatally wounded about 10:15 a-m in a neighborhood west of Birmingham. The second officer is in surgery with a bullet wound. One person was taken into custody, and police cars blocked roads searching for at least one more suspect. The shooting scene was several blocks from Miles College and a few miles from the scene of a shooting that claimed three police officers from neighboring Birmingham in June 2004.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house