Ill. officer fatally shoots knife-wielding man
The Associated Press
Carbondale officers were responding to a report of a knife-wielding man. At the house, they found 22-year-old Lawrence Wirth of Belleville restraining and stabbing an unarmed man.
When Wirth refused to drop the knife, state police say, one of the Carbondale officers shot him once. Wirth died later at a hospital.
Police say the stabbing victim was treated at a hospital and released.
An autopsy will be performed on Wirth. An obituary in today's Belleville News-Democrat says Wirth graduated from Althoff Catholic High School in Belleville and was a student at Southern Illinois University in Carbondale, working toward a degree in psychology research.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- AG Lynch: US must hold police accountable
- DC officers cannot record inauguration demonstrators
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help