L.A. officer fatally shoots mentally ill man during disturbance
LOS ANGELES — Police shot and killed a mentally ill man after he lunged at an officer with a sharp object during a disturbance at a group home for the disabled, authorities said.
Officers were called to Fair Oaks Manor around 2 a.m. Sunday when the man became violent, according to police. Shortly after officers arrived, the man lunged at one of them with a sharp object, tearing his shirt sleeve. The officer's partner then fired, Lopez said.
Police said the officer's bulletproof vest prevented the object from going through.
It was the department's ninth officer-involved shooting this year. The LAPD's Force Investigation Division, which examines officer-involved shootings, is investigating.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds