Elderly Detroit woman killed by dog; officers kill animal
The Associated Press
DETROIT- A dog described as very protective of its elderly owner mauled the 91-year-old woman to death and then was shot and killed after it charged at officers, authorities said.
After the attack, a neighbor shot at the 90-pound dog outside the home when it appeared ready to attack some children, according to witnesses. When police arrived, the animal - a mix between a pit bull and an American bulldog - charged them and was killed.
The dog, named Butch, had belonged to Stiles' grandson, and she adopted it after the grandson died a year ago, neighbors said.
No one knows why Butch turned against her, although animal control officials are testing the dog for rabies.
"Neighbors were saying that dog was very protective of the woman," police spokesman James Tate said. "For some reason, it snapped."
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman