Calif. police fatally shoot suspect after ignoring SWAT orders
By Jaxon Van Derbeken
The San Francisco Chronicle
A 23-year-old suspected of killing his cousin in Oakland earlier this month was shot and killed after refusing to heed the orders of a SWAT team summoned to arrest him in Santa Rosa, authorities said Saturday.
Investigators had sought Haki Kuasi Gaidi Thurston of Oakland in the Feb. 12 slaying of Hodari Benson. Oakland police had tracked Thurston to a Santa Rosa motel, and called local police to assist with the arrest Friday night, Sonoma County officials said.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
- Suicide by Cop
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house