Police: One officer killed, another injured in Las Vegas shooting
The Associated Press
LAS VEGAS- A police officer was shot to death Wednesday when a man suspected of beating a woman with a stick suddenly sprayed police with gunfire, authorities said.
Sgt. Henry Prendes, 37, was the first Las Vegas officer to die in the line of duty in 18 years. He was a 14-year police veteran.
Police said gunfire broke out about 1:20 p.m. after officers were called to a home where a man was reportedly beating a woman and smashing windows out of the house.
After police had escorted the woman and others at the home to safety, Deputy Chief Greg McCurdy said Prendes led a team of officers into the house.
The wounded officer, whose name was not immediately released, was hospitalized in stable condition Wednesday night, police said.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Police: Marksman fatally shot Wash. cop killer who was using child as shield
- Photo: Son of slain Mo. cop receives teddy bears made from dad’s uniform