Mo. officer shot at close range wakes up from coma
'My first birthday again' On waking up Sgt. Jon Brough asked his wife, 'Was I shot?' after drug-induced coma
By Doug Moore
St. Louis Post-Dispatch (Missouri)
BELLEVILLE -- Police Sgt. Jon Brough has made it through five surgeries to his face and will have at least seven more on his long road to recovery. He was critically wounded in a shootout with a suspected killer more than four months ago.
"It's been an up and down hill battle to deal with this loss of eyesight," Brough said Wednesday in his first interview since the Nov. 10 shooting that almost took his life. If not for his wife, Wendy, and their two sons, he said, "I don't know if I would have made this journey."
Brough's remarks came at a 49th birthday party in his honor at City Hall, thrown by the department where he had worked for 22 years.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman