Mass. officer accidently shot while battling pit bull
By Maria Cramer
The Boston Globe
P-1 Editor's Note --
There are special considerations for using Taser on a dog. From the Taser web site: "The Advanced TASER is not specifically recommended for use against animals as its main function. The main reason is that the Advanced TASER was created for 'human nervous systems' not animals. Moreover, the Advanced TASER is designed to hit a standing vertical target which most animals are not. The shot would have to be altered and somehow aimed at the side of the animals where the wide center of mass is located and most animals don't attack from the side. Also, animals tend to recover very quickly compared to humans when hit by TASERs." That said, Taser has on occasion been used to successfully subdue a pit bull.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Texas cops don cowboy hats with uniforms