Trooper shot to death in western New York, two men captured
The Associated Press
BIG FLATS, N.Y.- A state trooper was shot and killed Wednesday in a gun battle with two suspected bank robbers, authorities said. Both were wounded and later captured.
When Sperr approached their truck, the men opened fire and Sperr managed to shoot both of them before dying of multiple gunshot wounds, White said.
Sperr, 33, "did his job but it cost him his life," he said.
The suspects, Anthony Horton, 33, and Brian Adams, 45, were in satisfactory condition at hospitals. Both were charged with first-degree murder, White said.
Authorities said they were searching for at least one other suspect Wednesday night.
Adams showed up at an Elmira hospital with a gunshot wound, White said. Horton, who had retreated to a nearby hotel, turned himself in when authorities arrived.
About 20 police units were mobilized in the area after Sperr's body was found. All schools in the Horseheads and Elmira Heights school district were locked down.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- ND bill protects drivers who negligently hit protesters obstructing traffic
- Trump hosts LE at White House, pledges support for police
- Slain Fla. officer's patrol car vandalized
- Video: Calif. police fatally shoot man, face wrongful death lawsuit
- Minn. lawmakers chart new course in response to OIS protests