Pistol kept under pillow accidentally discharges; Ga. officer injured
The Associated Press
ALBANY, Ga. — An Albany police officer was shot in the wrist when a gun she kept under her pillow went off.
She is hospitalized at Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital.
Cheek says she sustained a serious wound to the wrist and underwent surgery Sunday night. He calls the gun discharging "just a freak accident."
The incident is being investigated by county police since it happened in their jurisdiction. The Albany Police Department is conducting an internal investigation.
Both Cheek and Albany police stressed the importance of gun safety in the wake of the accident.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court