Pittsburgh officer shoots suspect after getting cruiser rammed
The Associated Press
PITTSBURGH — A city police officer shot a man in the face after a car chase in which police said the suspect's vehicle rammed a police cruiser.
The chase began when police responded to a report of shots fired early Friday and found two vehicles speeding away from the scene. Police chased and stopped both vehicles, but they sped away in different directions as the officers got out of their car.
The officers chased one vehicle, which rammed the police cruiser before stopping, police said. The driver refused to get out and started driving toward one of the officers. The officer fired two shots, hitting the driver once in the face, Harper said.
The driver was taken to a hospital where he was listed in critical but stable condition. The passenger was taken into custody but was not immediately identified, police said.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court