Shotgun-toting man fatally shot by Calif. police
The man fired one shot on the grounds of Ridgecrest Regional Hospital and entered a medical office building, where he fired several other shots, Police Chief Mike Avery said.
Employees and patients escaped through a back door, Ann Kapernick, a hospital administrator, told the Bakersfield Californian.
The man also hit a female employee with the butt of his gun after entering the building, Kapernick said. Her condition was not immediately known.
Officers told the man to drop his gun, but he refused and pointed it at them, authorities said.
The man was shot and killed by California Highway Patrol Officer Brad Degeus, a six-year member of the force, said Paul Salazar of the patrol.
The man, who has not been identified, died immediately. Kapernick said he had previously visited the clinic.
Ridgecrest is about 110 miles north of Los Angeles, near the sprawling Naval Air Weapons Station at China Lake.
Also in the news 2.5.07 Ala. police capture medical center gunman
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman