Tenn. deputy, friend riding with him shot to death
The Associated Press
KINGSTON, Tennessee- A sheriff's deputy and a friend riding with him on patrol were shot to death, and one suspect was in custody.
"It looks like somebody opened fire on them and shot the officer and the ride-along," Haggard said.
The attack took place near property belonging to the family of the two suspects identified by authorities as brothers Rocky and Leon Houston.
A warrant had been issued for Rocky Houston, but it was not clear whether the deputy was attempting to serve the warrant when the attack took place, Haggard said.
Both brothers had outstanding warrants for various offenses, authorities said, including threats against forest service officials who were on their property to fight a fire.
Rocky Houston was found at a hospital with a gunshot wound to his hip, police told The Knoxville News Sentinel. He was later moved to another hospital. His condition was unknown. His brother remained at large.
Kingston is about 35 miles (55 kilometers) west of Knoxville.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house