N.Y. deputy shoots fellow officer during dog attack
Related News Report: Mass. officer accidently shot while battling pit bull
BERNE, N.Y. — An Albany County sheriff's deputy shot a fellow member of a drug detail in the hand while trying to kill an attacking dog Thursday.
Campbell says a big mixed-breed dog then attacked the officer, who called out to his fellow officers for help. The sheriff's deputy shot and killed the dog, but the bullet also struck the right hand of the officer.
The wounded officer was flown to Westchester Medical Center for surgery. The names of the officer and sheriff's deputy were not released.
The man at the farm, Kevin O'Reilly, 38, of Greenville, was captured and arrested on charges of burglary, growing marijuana, and resisting arrest.
Campbell would not comment further on the shooting, Which is still under investigation by the internal affairs departments of both agencies.
Berne is 17 miles west of Albany.
Copyright 2007 The Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house