Rookie Phila. officer shot in face during traffic stop
By Barbara Boyer, Larry Eichel and Andrew Maykuth
The Philadelphia Inquirer
PHILADELPHIA — A rookie Philadelphia police officer who chased a suspect for more than a block after being shot in the face is undergoing surgery at the University of Pennsylvania Hospital this afternoon, police said.
Officer Richard Decoatsworth, 21, was making a traffic stop at about 9:05 a.m. on Farson Street near Market Street in West Philadelphia when a man fired a shotgun at the officer, Commissioner Sylvester M. Johnson said.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Police: Marksman fatally shot Wash. cop killer who was using child as shield
- Photo: Son of slain Mo. cop receives teddy bears made from dad’s uniform