Rookie Phila. officer shot in face during traffic stop
By Barbara Boyer, Larry Eichel and Andrew Maykuth
The Philadelphia Inquirer
PHILADELPHIA — A rookie Philadelphia police officer who chased a suspect for more than a block after being shot in the face is undergoing surgery at the University of Pennsylvania Hospital this afternoon, police said.
Officer Richard Decoatsworth, 21, was making a traffic stop at about 9:05 a.m. on Farson Street near Market Street in West Philadelphia when a man fired a shotgun at the officer, Commissioner Sylvester M. Johnson said.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'