Calif. officer kills man who used officer's own baton to beat him
The Fresno Bee
Copyright 2006 McClatchy Newspapers, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
VISALIA- A man was shot and killed by a California Highway Patrol officer Saturday after a high-speed chase and then a fight in which the suspect struck the officer several times with his own police baton.
The man, whose identity was not yet available Monday afternoon, began a high-speed chase at 8:53 p.m. Saturday in Earlimart, said CHP officer Scott Harris. The car had been stolen in Porterville.
The officer, whose name was not made public Monday, tried to pull over the man for speeding, but he failed to stop and headed south on Highway 99, Harris said.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Video: Mo. governor completes SWAT challenge in honor of slain deputy