Police kill driver on Las Vegas strip
The Associated Press
LAS VEGAS- A police officer killed a motorist on the crowded Las Vegas Strip after a dispute over the driver's noisy car stereo.
Police Capt. James Dillon said the man defied an order from two bicycle officers late Tuesday to turn his stereo down, then drove off with one officer hanging onto his car. His vehicle collided with a taxi and hit a pole, knocking the officer unconscious.
The other officer fired once, killing the driver, Dillon said.
The Strip was crowded with visitors at the time, and one gave a videotape to KLAS-TV that showed officers pulling the man from his car and handcuffing him near the Bally's, Bellagio, Caesar's Palace and Flamingo casinos.
It was the 18th shooting involving a Las Vegas police officer this year — a sharp increase from 13 reported in all of 2005.
The motorist's identity was not immediately released.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC officers cannot record inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help