Phila. officer shot by masked gunman who shot 3 others
By Joseph A. Gambardello, Dwight Ott and Andrew Maykuth
Massive manhunt for suspect who shot Phila. officer
Gunman wounds Phila. officer during club brawl
PHILADELPHIA — A body was recovered from the Schuylkill River this morning but police said they have not been able to confirm if it is the body of the suspect that shot a Philadelphia police officer.
Traffic officer Mariano Santiago, 44, was shot and wounded last night by a masked gunman who police said had just brazenly shot three people in a vehicle at a Center City intersection.
The shootings, the frantic search for the suspect who apparently disappeared into the Schuylkill and the convergence of dozens of emergency vehicles on Center City triggered chaos less than a mile from the Drexel University campus, where Democratic presidential candidates were concluding a nationally televised debate.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC officers cannot record inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help