Shot in shoulder, Phila. officer leaves hospital
By Julie Shaw
The Philadelphia Daily News
Related: Phila. officer shot by masked gunman who shot 3 others
PHILADELPHIA — Police Officer Mariano Santiago, wounded Tuesday night after being shot in Center City, was released from Thomas Jefferson University Hospital yesterday.
The Traffic Division officer, 44, had given chase to a gunman fleeing in a stolen Chevy SUV after the gunman wounded three people in a parked Buick on Sansom Street near 16th about 10:20 p.m.
The gunman, Jerome Whitaker, 29, of Carpenter Street near 19th, South Philadelphia, crashed the SUV at 22nd and Sansom. He then fired at Santiago, hitting the officer once in the shoulder.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Shot in shoulder, Phila. officer leaves hospital
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help