Shot in shoulder, Phila. officer leaves hospital
By Julie Shaw
The Philadelphia Daily News
Related: Phila. officer shot by masked gunman who shot 3 others
PHILADELPHIA — Police Officer Mariano Santiago, wounded Tuesday night after being shot in Center City, was released from Thomas Jefferson University Hospital yesterday.
The Traffic Division officer, 44, had given chase to a gunman fleeing in a stolen Chevy SUV after the gunman wounded three people in a parked Buick on Sansom Street near 16th about 10:20 p.m.
The gunman, Jerome Whitaker, 29, of Carpenter Street near 19th, South Philadelphia, crashed the SUV at 22nd and Sansom. He then fired at Santiago, hitting the officer once in the shoulder.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Shot in shoulder, Phila. officer leaves hospital
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds