Officer shot in Chicago suburb has life-threatening injuries
Officer was shot Saturday morning while investigating a report of a break-in
PARK FOREST, Ill. — Police in the Chicago suburb of Park Forest say an officer shot during an exchange of fire has been hospitalized with life-threatening injuries.
Park Forest Mayor John Osternburg identified the officer as Tim Jones. He was shot Saturday morning while investigating a report of a break-in and a vehicle theft at a vacant residence.
WMAQ-TV reports that the suspect came out of the house and fired on officers with a handgun.
Park Forest police say officers returned fire, and the suspect was pronounced dead at the scene. Authorities have not identified the suspect.
The mayor says Jones has been with the department for about a year and is part of a line of officers in his family.
The Illinois State Police Public Integrity Task Force is investigating the shooting.
Copyright 2016 The Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds