Charge dismissed for cop who shot Hells Angel
Perjury charges have been dismissed against a Seattle police detective who shot a member of the Hells Angels motorcycle club during last month's annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in South Dakota.
Seattle cop charged in Hells Angels shooting
By Susan Gilmore
The Seattle Times
MEADE COUNTY, S.D. — Perjury charges have been dismissed against a Seattle police detective who shot a member of the Hells Angels motorcycle club last month during the annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in South Dakota.
In late August, Ron Smith was charged with aggravated assault and perjury after a two-day grand jury hearing by the Meade County, S.D., Circuit Court. He was also charged with a misdemeanor count of carrying a concealed weapon without a permit.
Smith claims he shot Hells Angel Joseph McGuire in self-defense during a bar fight in Sturgis.
Read the full story
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Video: Mo. governor completes SWAT challenge in honor of slain deputy