L.A. deputies thought cell phone was a gun, fatally shot man
By Richard Winton
Los Angeles Times
LOS ANGELES — Two deputies apparently mistook a cellphone for a gun when they fatally shot an unarmed 22-year-old man in Athens, authorities said Monday.
A Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department spokesman said Woodrow Player Jr. twice pointed a "dark object" at deputies during a foot chase Friday, causing them to believe that he was armed with a handgun. The second time he pointed the object at deputies, they opened fire.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Police: Marksman fatally shot Wash. cop killer who was using child as shield
- Photo: Son of slain Mo. cop receives teddy bears made from dad’s uniform