W.Va. cop killed by friendly fire during pursuit
By Gary A. Harki
CHARLESTON, W.Va. — A Charleston police officer was killed, apparently by friendly fire, during an altercation with a suspect he pursued to the Elk River area outside Charleston sometime after midnight Sunday, Charleston Mayor Danny Jones and Police Chief Brent Webster said at a press conference Sunday afternoon.
Patrolman Jerry Jones, 27, was shot just above his bulletproof vest, Jones said.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: W.Va. cop killed by friendly fire during pursuit
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds