Conn. officer shot twice during foot chase
HARTFORD, Conn. — Hartford police say a city officer investigating a series of burglaries was shot during an early morning foot chase with a fleeing suspect, who was caught and arrested by other officers.
Police say the officer was shot in the arm and leg shortly after 12:30 a.m. Wednesday and is in stable condition. His name hasn't been released.
Authorities identified the suspect as 26-year-old Dwayne Powell of Hartford. They say he was injured during the arrest and hospitalized. His injuries weren't disclosed, but police say early reports that Powell was shot were wrong.
Sgt. Robert Davis said he did not know if Powell had an attorney.
Police say the series of events began when the officer approached Powell at a street corner in the city's north end.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Police: Marksman fatally shot Wash. cop killer who was using child as shield
- Photo: Son of slain Mo. cop receives teddy bears made from dad’s uniform