NY cop fatally shoots man who pulled fake gun
The suspect was holding a very real-looking pistol
NEW YORK — A police officer in Brooklyn has fatally shot a man who the NYPD says was brandishing a fake pistol near a school.
Police said they received a 911 call Monday afternoon from a parent reporting a man with a handgun near an elementary school.
They say that when officers arrived, the 22-year-old man pointed the phony gun at them during in a confrontation on the street outside the school. A uniformed officer responded by firing three shots.
The man was pronounced dead at the hospital. His name was not immediately released.
According to the New York Post, the suspect's father said, "I am retired law-enforcement myself. I know what it's like. I can't blame the officer. He did what he had to do."
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Patrol Issues
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman