Video: Wash. police fatally shoot knife-wielding felon
Police said Manuel Gonzalez advanced toward an officer with the knife in hand
By PoliceOne Staff
BELLINGHAM, Wash. — Police released video of an officer-involved shooting of a knife-wielding suspect who allegedly stabbed a man in the neck.
Police told Q13 Fox that Manuel Gonzalez, 28, stabbed a 20-year-old man in the neck and fled on foot. Witnesses pursued him until Officer Jeremiah Leland got to the scene.
Leland approached Gonzalez and commanded him to drop the knife, but Gonzalez refused.
Gonzalez advanced toward Leland with the knife, and Gonzalez can be heard saying, “Don’t step any closer, I’ll kill you. Drop the knife!” Gonzalez can be heard saying “Shoot me.”
He was pronounced dead at the scene, the news station reported.
According to the Seattle Times, Gonzalez had a criminal history including a felony assault arrest for threatening a police officer with a knife during a shoplifting incident last March.
The man who was stabbed in the neck is in serious condition at a local hospital, Q13 reported.
An investigation is ongoing.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman