Fla. cop killer's mom: My son felt he had no choice
Johnny Simms killed Officers Roger Castillo and Amanda Haworth before he was killed by Officer Oscar Placencia
By Todd Wright
LIBERTY CITY, Fla. - The family of a man who murdered two Miami-Dade police officers before being killed said Friday their son felt he had no choice but to go down in a hail of bullets.
Johnny Simms was killed at his mother's house in Liberty City on Thursday after he began shooting at cops who arrived at the Liberty City apartment to serve a warrant for his arrest.
"As I watched my son lying outside dying, my son told me, 'Mama, they were going to kill me anyway,' and he felt like he had no choice," Lorraine Simms told the Miami Herald. The grieving mother was inside the house as the shootout began.
Read more at NBCMiami.com
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house