logo for print

Ind. cop succumbs to wounds after shooting

Officer David Moore was shot during a bloody 24 hours for cops early this week

Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS — A 29-year-old Indianapolis police officer shot during a weekend traffic stop has died, city and police officials said Wednesday.

Officer David Moore died at Wishard Hospital, where he had been on life support since he was shot Sunday morning, Sgt. Linda Jackson said.

Public Safety Chief Frank Straub told WISH-TV that Moore was taken off life support Wednesday morning.

Police have accused 60-year-old ex-convict Thomas Hardy in the shooting. A judge has given prosecutors until Friday to file charges against Hardy, who is being held without bond. Jail officials did not know whether he had an attorney.

Police Chief Paul Ciesielski said Tuesday night that an MRI showed Moore was too badly wounded to survive and that Moore's family was talking to doctors about donating his organs.

Doctors say two bullets hit Moore in the face and just missed his spinal cord. He also was shot in the thigh, and his protective vest stopped another bullet.

Hardy was arrested Sunday in connection with a store robbery that happened less than an hour after Moore was shot.

He had been released on bond last month following an arrest on theft charges after his parole officer did not enter his most recent parole information into a national database, Indiana Department of Correction spokesman Doug Garrison said. The parole officer also didn't perform required monthly checks to determine whether Hardy had been arrested, Garrison said.

The agency suspended the parole officer without pay Tuesday. He has not been identified.

The corrections department said Hardy had a criminal history dating back at least to 1984, when he was sentenced to 13 years in prison on a burglary conviction.

He was released on parole in 1990, but has been in and out of prison since then on various charges, including seven sentences for theft, one for cocaine possession and one for misdemeanor battery.

Officials have said Hardy was considered "low risk" when he was paroled in October 2009 after serving a 1,000-day sentence for theft. He was due to report to his parole officer again next month.

Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2018 PoliceOne.com. All rights reserved.