Cop shot, woman and gunman killed in NY melee
A second officer suffered minor injuries and a half dozen others were involved
By Michael Virtanen
POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. — Police say a man suspected of fatally shooting a woman in a car New York's Hudson Valley was himself shot to death minutes later in a struggle with police, including an officer who had taken a 3-year-old from the man and handed the child to a bystander.
Poughkeepsie (poh-KIHP'-see) Police Chief Ronald Knapp says one officer, a 20-year veteran, was shot in the head Friday in the melee in a parking lot near the city train station. He is in surgery and Knapp says his condition is very serious.
The names of the dead man and woman have not been released. Knapp says he believes they were husband and wife and weren't from the city.
He says a second officer suffered minor injuries and a half dozen others were involved.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman