Video: Non-compliant Mich. man jumps from car, gets shot
Prosecutors are reviewing decision to clear officer, who can be heard explaining her reason for shooting in the video
By PoliceOne Staff
PITTSFIELD TOWNSHIP, Mich. — Prosecutors are rethinking their decision to clear a Michigan officer of criminal wrongdoing in a January officer-involved shooting.
The case of Washtenaw County Officer Tracy Yurkunas has been reopened as new video has emerged, according to the Ann Arbor News.
Due to technical difficulties, the below video was not available at the time Yurkunas was cleared of any wrongdoing, but prosecutors are reviewing the videotape now that it has been made available.
According to the report, AnnArbor.com obtained the video through the Freedom of Information Act.
As you can see, the non-compliant man leaped from the vehicle and made a motion with his right hand that could easily have been construed as reaching for a sidearm.
You can also hear officer Yurkunas explaining in the video why she felt she needed to fire on the suspect.
What do you think? Good shoot?
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Texas cops don cowboy hats with uniforms