Witnesses: Slain Ark. officer rescued partner
30-year-old officer Jonathan Schmidt was killed in the shooting about 11:30 p.m. Tuesday night
Duty Death: Police Officer Jonathan Schmidt - [Trumann Police Department, Arkansas]
TRUMANN, Ark. (AP) — An Arkansas couple says a police officer killed during a late night traffic stop dragged a wounded comrade to safety despite having been shot in the neck himself.
Keith Elumbaugh (EL'-uhm-bow) says the Trumann officers stopped his vehicle shortly before midnight Tuesday while he and his girlfriend were giving the shooting suspect and the suspect's female friend a ride home.
Elumbaugh and girlfriend April Swanner told The Associated Press on Wednesday that police cuffed him and the suspect's friend because of non-related warrants and that they were standing next to his car when the suspect opened fire from the back seat.
The couple says 30-year-old Officer Jonathan Schmidt was shot in the neck but managed to drag his wounded partner to safety before the suspect shot Schmidt several more times.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman