Video: Dash cam clears cop in fatal shooting
The video was instrumental in determining that officers did what they had to do to minimize a very dangerous threat
MONONA, Wis. — Police dash cam video obtained by WISC-TV shows the gravity of an incident that unfolded outside a Monona credit union in December when a suspect who took a hostage was fatally shot by a Monona police officer.
Police said Daniel L. Thomas, 30, of Madison, went on a crime spree that ended with an officer fatally shooting him outside a Monona credit union on Dec. 8, 2010.
The video shows just how quickly officers needed to act after Thomas kidnapped a 63-year-old man at gunpoint and took him to the UW Credit Union's Monona branch to withdraw money from the victim's account.
Police said the graphic squad car dash cam video proved to be instrumental in determining that all of the officers involved did what they had to do to minimize a very dangerous situation. District attorney Ismael Ozanne said the Monona police officer had no choice but to use deadly force.
Read more on Channel 3000.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Wash. sheriff told to disarm before entering arena for charity event
- More than 200 police chiefs criticize Trump’s 'law and order' executive actions
- Video: Nashville cop fatally shoots armed man, NAACP wants probe
- Video: NY trooper arrests suspect after being dragged by vehicle
- Booby trap impales officer investigating marijuana grow operation