Ret. N.J. police officer expected to survive after gunfight with two armed robbers
Attacked by two armed robbers while filling ATMs in Newark's Ironbound section
New Jersey Star-Ledger
NEWARK — A retired Florham Park police officer was shot multiple times during an early morning gun battle with two armed robbers in Newark's Ironbound section today, said authorities and two officials with knowledge of the investigation.
The former officer was shot several times on Elm Street, but he is expected to survive and make a full recovery, according to Detective Hubert Henderson, a Newark police spokesman. Around 2:30 p.m., Henderson classified the robbery as a "targeted attack based on the preliminary evidence recovered."
The victim was identified as a retired Florham Park officer by the officials.
Around 10:15 a.m., the officer was making a cash delivery to a bar at 133 Elm St. when two armed attackers surrounded him, prompting a shootout, Henderson said.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Police: Marksman fatally shot Wash. cop killer who was using child as shield
- Photo: Son of slain Mo. cop receives teddy bears made from dad’s uniform