Ret. N.J. police officer expected to survive after gunfight with two armed robbers
Attacked by two armed robbers while filling ATMs in Newark's Ironbound section
New Jersey Star-Ledger
NEWARK — A retired Florham Park police officer was shot multiple times during an early morning gun battle with two armed robbers in Newark's Ironbound section today, said authorities and two officials with knowledge of the investigation.
The former officer was shot several times on Elm Street, but he is expected to survive and make a full recovery, according to Detective Hubert Henderson, a Newark police spokesman. Around 2:30 p.m., Henderson classified the robbery as a "targeted attack based on the preliminary evidence recovered."
The victim was identified as a retired Florham Park officer by the officials.
Around 10:15 a.m., the officer was making a cash delivery to a bar at 133 Elm St. when two armed attackers surrounded him, prompting a shootout, Henderson said.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- ND bill protects drivers who negligently hit protesters obstructing traffic
- Slain Fla. officer's patrol car vandalized
- Trump hosts LE at White House, pledges support for police
- Video: Calif. police fatally shoot man, face wrongful death lawsuit
- Minn. lawmakers chart new course in response to OIS protests