Video: BART releases fatal shooting video
July 3 shooting of drunk, knife-wielding homeless man drew protests
By PoliceOne Staff
OAKLAND, Calif. - Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) officials have released security camera footage of the July 3 fatal shooting on a platform in San Francisco's Civic Center station.
Charles Blair Hill, 45, was killed after he advanced on two BART officers with a knife. In the video, the officers can be seen exiting one of the cabs and moving along the platform, at which point one of the officers draws his firearm, apparently firing. A blue circle highlights a 4-inch blade held by Hill, which flies through the air and lands further down the platform following the shooting.
According to the San Francisco Chronicle, Hill - who was homeless - became belligerent when he first saw the officers, hurled a nearly full bottle of liquor at them, which smashed, then advanced with a knife, said Harry Stern, an attorney representing the two officers. One officer suffered a minor cut to his arm in the incident, officials said.
The shooting predictably drew protests, with some attempting to draw parallels to the Oscar Grant shooting on New Year's Eve 2009.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman