Ind. officer shot, suspect killed
Police opened fire when one of two suspects pointed a gun at officers
By PoliceOne Staff
WATERLOO, Ind. — One suspect was killed and another wounded hours after a police officer was shot in the face Thursday.
The two suspects were believed to be connected to the shooting of a Waterloo officer, sources said. Police located them after issuing a call for help from the public and receiving a call from the homeowner that people were hiding under the deck.
When they arrived police attempted to get the suspects to come out — deploying a TASER in the process — when a male pointed a gun at an officer, the News Sentinel reported. Officers opened fire and the male suspect, identified as Ralph Daniel Hardiek, 41, died.
The female was sent to the hospital where she was reportedly in critical condition, sources said.
The officer was identified as 13-year police veteran Deputy Marshal Stephen Brady, 47, according to WANE. Brady is in serious condition at Fort Wayne Hospital.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman