Officers' fatal shootings rare but haunting
That moment of confrontation is extraordinarily rare, but when it does come, the emotional toll can last a lifetime
Chattanooga Times Free Press
WASHINGTON, D.C. — Police Lt. Tyrone Collington yelled to the masked bank robber to drop his gun and loosen his grip on the teller's neck. "It's not worth it, man. Let the girl go," he shouted.
In an instant, as television cameras rolled, the robber slipped on a patch of ice, the hostage broke free, the robber raised his gun and Collington fired.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Officers' fatal shootings rare but haunting
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Video: Mo. governor completes SWAT challenge in honor of slain deputy