Calif. OIS likely a suicide by cop incident
A Colorado fugitive reportedly told investigators of Christian John Valdez's plan was to make "the police shoot him by pretending to have a gun" rather than going back into custody
By Trevor Warner
PARADISE — Suicide by cop: That's the basic explanation regarding Sunday evening's shooting in Paradise that killed an 18-year-old fugitive from Colorado.
Christian John Valdez, 18, was shot by California Highway Patrol officer Shane Schilperoort at the Flyers gas station at the corner of Pearson and Clark roads after Valdez led police on a 24-mile high-speed chase from Oroville.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Calif. OIS likely a suicide by cop incident
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds