Police: Ind. man shot marshal before being killed
Felon 'showed his disregard for life'
By Dominic Adams
Fort Wayne Journal Gazette
FORT WAYNE, Ind. — Federal agents knew Marcus Hayden was in an apartment in the 1300 block of Greene Street late Monday, and they moved in to arrest him.
After announcing their presence and demanding he come out, police broke down the door about 11:30 p.m. and gunfire erupted. Hayden shot a U.S. marshal trying to arrest him before a city officer shot Hayden. He later died at a hospital, officials said.
U.S. marshals and agents with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives were serving a warrant accusing Hayden of failure to appear in federal court. Fort Wayne police officers acted as backup.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
- Officer Safety
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman