Police: DC officer kills man who fired at him
Unidentified officer was grazed in the leg during shootout
By PoliceOne Staff
WASHINGTON, D.C. — Authorities say a man who shot at police Monday night was killed by an officer.
The suspect, identified as Dominique Campbell, 41, was pronounced dead at a hospital, The Washington Post reported. The unidentified officer is being treated for non-life threatening injuries resulting from the shootout.
The exchange of gunfire happened as officers sought a suspect who was reported to have shot a man in the leg about 30 minutes earlier, D.C. Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier said.
As an officer approached an armed man who matched the description of that suspect, the man opened fire, grazing the officer in the leg, Lanier said.
The man was hit when the officer returned fire, and a witness reported hearing five or six shots and seeing someone lying on the ground near an apartment complex.
Police are still investigating whether the two shooting incidents were related. Shell casings from a weapon that was not a duty firearm, as well as a gun, were recovered at the scene.
- Use of Force
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house