Maui resort evacuated as cops kill suspected thief
The suspect tried to flee in the vehicle and apparently pointed a handgun at an officer
KIHEI, Hawaii — Hundreds of guests at a beachside Hawaii resort have been evacuated from the hotel after police shot and killed a man in the parking lot who was suspected of stealing a vehicle.
Several hundred guests haven't been able to return to their rooms while police are on the scene, Winston Chinn, general manager of the Mana Kai Maui Resort in Maui, said Tuesday afternoon.
Maui County spokesman Rod Antone says police received a report of a stolen vehicle in Kihei and found it in the resort's parking lot.
Antone says the suspect tried to flee in the vehicle and apparently pointed a handgun at an officer. The officer fired. The suspect was pronounced dead at the scene.
Chinn says employees reported hearing gunshots, but the number of shots heard varies.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- ND bill protects drivers who negligently hit protesters obstructing traffic
- Trump hosts LE at White House, pledges support for police
- Slain Fla. officer's patrol car vandalized
- Video: Calif. police fatally shoot man, face wrongful death lawsuit
- Minn. lawmakers chart new course in response to OIS protests