Man shot after punching Pa. officer, grabbing gun
Police say the suspect approached an officer as he escorted a woman to her car
By Mike Newall
The Philadelphia Inquirer
PHILADELPHIA — A Drexel University police officer on Friday shot and wounded a man who had allegedly punched the officer in the face and grabbed for his service weapon, Philadelphia police said.
The situation developed around 6 p.m., when a Drexel employee told a university officer she had been harassed by a stranger as she walked to her car, parked near Drexel police headquarters at 32d and Arch Streets, said Lt. John Walker of Southwest Detectives, whose unit is investigating.
As the officer escorted the woman to her car, the man approached them, Walker said.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- No charges for Charlotte officer who fatally shot Keith Lamont Scott
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Fla. woman urinates, defecates in patrol car after throwing dog into traffic