Calif. deputy shoots suspect in hospital ER
Man had one wrist handcuffed to a gurney when he suddenly grabbed the gun from an officer's belt
INGLEWOOD, Calif. — Authorities say a jail inmate suspected of drug use was shot to death in a hospital emergency room after he grabbed a gun from a Los Angeles County sheriff's deputy.
The 27-year-old man was pronounced dead at Centinela Hospital Medical Center early Thursday.
Sheriff's Lt. Holly Francisco said the man, whose name was not immediately released, had one wrist handcuffed to a gurney in a triage room with two deputies when he suddenly grabbed the gun from one officer's belt. She says another deputy fired a shot that killed him.
No one else was hurt.
The man had been arrested Wednesday for investigation of possessing a controlled substance.
While jailed at the South Los Angeles station, the man complained of feeling ill and was taken to the hospital.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- ND bill protects drivers who negligently hit protesters obstructing traffic
- Slain Fla. officer's patrol car vandalized
- Video: Calif. police fatally shoot man, face wrongful death lawsuit
- Minn. lawmakers chart new course in response to OIS protests
- Trump hosts LE at White House, pledges support for police