Video: Suspect ambushes officers, killed in shootout
One suspect hid in a car, and began firing as officers approached the second suspect, spurring a fatal shootout
By Justin Finch
MIAMI — Dramatic video of a police shootout outside a marijuana growhouse last year that left one suspect dead and a Miami-Dade officer severely wounded was released by prosecutors Thursday.
The video, posted on the Miami Herald website, shows the July 2012 exchange of gunfire between homeowner Gerardo Delgado and authorities, including Miami-Dade Det. John Saavedra, who suffered gunshot wounds to his abdomen and had to be airlifted to Ryder Trauma Center.
In the video, taken from cameras at the growhouse in the 6000 block of Southwest 22nd Street, Delgado is seen getting into a car moments before Saavedra and other detectives arrive and begin questioning another man, Luis Lazaro Estevanell, who exited the house. As the officers question Estevanell, an armed Delgado left the car and began to shot at the officers, who returned fire.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Milwaukee Sheriff Clarke takes job with Homeland Security
- Video: Deputy shoots armed man who charged at him during traffic stop
- Judge haunted by release of man in deadly Ohio shootings
- Grand jury doesn't indict Ohio officer for fatally shooting teen
- Off-duty cop helps detain man who tried to break cockpit door mid-flight