Off-duty Texas cop shoots, kills shoplifter
The officer first attempted to use a TASER on the crow-bar wielding suspect, but it did not stop him
GARLAND, Texas — An off-duty Garland police officer shot and killed a shoplifter on Sunday. It happened at a Walmart store in the 1800 block of Market Place, after the suspect tried to steal a crowbar. A uniformed officer attempted to stop the alleged shoplifter, who fled from the store.
The officer tried to TASER the man first, but it did not stop him from lunging toward the officer with the crowbar. The officer told him to stop, according to Joe Harn, spokesperson for the Garland Police Department, but the suspect refused. Harn said that the officer then started to fire.
Paramedics took the suspect to Baylor Medical Center at Dallas where he later died. The man was identified Monday as 31-year-old Casey Daniel Smith of Kemp.
Full Story: Garland Police Officer Shoots & Kills Shoplifter
- Off Duty
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman