Video: Fla. police shoot car thief, dodge getaway car
An officer fired, hitting both of the stolen car's occupants, after the driver repeated rammed vehicles to escape
By Vic Micolucci
News 4 Jax
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Surveillance video obtained by Channel 4 shows a police-involved shooting inside a parking garage at Jacksonville International Airport in May in which police say a car thief tried to run over officers, then got away.
Rodney Addison, 20, and a 17-year-old in that vehicle were shot. Both are OK, and Addison is in jail. The video from inside the rental car garage shows a man who police say is Addison parked in a stolen car. He gets out, stands in the doorway and then is quickly surrounded by unmarked police cars, which had been following him for quite a ways.
Investigators say when he was cornered, he rammed two of their vehicles and almost ran over some of their officers as he tried to get away. Addison faces a slew of charges ranging from attempted murder of a law enforcement officer to auto theft to possession of cocaine.
Full Story: Video shows ramming, police shooting
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Deputy shoots armed man who charged at him during traffic stop
- Judge haunted by release of man in deadly Ohio shootings
- Off-duty cop helps detain man who tried to break cockpit door mid-flight
- Va. sheriff’s office forced to remove 'blessed are the peacemakers' decals
- Actor Tom Hanks is on the beat, flagging car for police