NC cop fatally shoots man, ending hour standoff
Derek Deandre Walker was upset over a custody battle for his son, and claimed he was 'ready to die'
By PoliceOne Staff
DURHAM, N.C. — A man was killed Tuesday by police after reportedly waving a gun at officers and saying “shoot me” several times.
Officers responded to reports of a distraught man with a gun Tuesday afternoon, and attempted to negotiate with the suspect, according to WRAL.
Derek Deandre Walker, a funeral home employee, was apparently upset over a custody battle with his son’s mother, reported WNCN. He wrote on his Facebook page before the incident that he was “ready to die.”
Walker pointed his gun at Cpl. R.C. Swartz, prompting the officer to fire, killing the suspect.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Trooper under investigation for calling ICE to report illegal immigrant
- Bystander helps officer under attack by jumping on suspect's back
- Sheriff Joe successor pulls back on immigration holds in jails
- Ala. church asks for its own police department
- Police say newly freed gang member killed Calif. officer