Video: Dallas police shoot knife-wielding man
Police report says officer fired on the man after he walked toward police with a knife
RYLIE, Texas — Dallas police have opened a criminal investigation and placed an officer on indefinite administrative leave after he shot and wounded a mentally ill man.
A police report says Officer Cardan Spencer fired on 52-year-old Bobby Gerald Bennett after he walked toward police with a "knife raised in an aggressive manner."
But WFAA-TV in Dallas released surveillance video Thursday from a neighbor's camera. That video shows Bennett standing as two officers approach him. Seconds later, Spencer fires at the man and he falls to the ground. Bennett remains in a hospital intensive care unit.
Police arrived in the suburban neighborhood on Monday after Bennett's mother, Joyce Jackson, called police and told them that her son, who is a schizophrenic, was angry and pacing the street with a knife.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Texas cops don cowboy hats with uniforms